Everyone gets irritable at work from time to time, but it usually is only a temporary occurrence. This may be different for the millions of adults suffering from ADHD, which can cause frequent feelings of irritation and anxiety. But with proper treatment, awareness and the right strategies, one can exceed all expectations in the workplace. The following are some ways in which you can become more successful at your job:
• Get a professional evaluation. Whether it is from a career counselor, or your own therapist, this could be a step in the right direction. A professional evaluation can assess your strengths, weaknesses, interests, personality type, focus pattern, work habits and the special challenges that you face.
• Changing Careers. Being passionate and loving what you do can make a significant difference in your success. This is especially pertinent to people with ADHD because they need a positive and powerful connection in order to succeed.
• Take a few minutes to yourself. If you are having a hard time concentrating at work, taking a walk outside or going to grab a coffee can refresh and help you refocus on the tasks for that day.
• Create a daily to-do list. Make a small list of things that you need to accomplish for the day and try to make sure it gets done. Do not make a large list because this can become overwhelming to someone who has ADHD.
• Exercise. Exercising releases endorphins in your brain, thus, giving you more energy and making you happy. Completing a short workout before your workday can significantly help you perform better during that day.